I Believe Racism Is Affecting America

Keion - Jacksonville, Florida
Themes: prejudice

I believe that racism has a bad affect on America. Racism in America is beginning its process of fading into the background of America’s past. The late Martin Luther King Jr’s dream of people not being judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character is starting to develop now. Racism has been used against Native Americans, Japanese, and African Americans. Racism is still alive in this nation but it is not as harsh and out in the open as it used to be. In reality I think that racism will still be around for hundreds of years to come. It might never disappear. When senator Obama won the presidential election I began to think America was beginning to come together. Barack Obama is the first African-American to win a presidential election. The results of the 2008 election shows that America was ready to take a chance with change and that it is was ready for a African-American to run the country. In order for a country to be truly great, racism must be completely eliminated. There have been some events that have actually split America up into two sides. One event for instance is the beating of Rodney King. He was unnecessarily beat by a number of white cops for speeding one night. The whole beating was caught on tape and showed to the world and it just showed how prejudice people are against each other. Some African Americans to this day believe that they get pulled over by cops of other races just for being black. To some extent I do believe what they are saying is true. I think it is harder for a grown African American man to succeed in life than any other race just because of the color skin. When people refer to the man, they are hands down talking about the white race because white people have the most people than any race in America and to add on to that, they have ruled this nation ever since it was created. It is no doubt in my mind that in order to completely eliminate racism is if all the races of the world took time to understand each other and stop instantly judging one race for one person’s mistake. I believe that one day America will soon get itself together and realize racism is a big problem and pointless but by the progress I have seen so far; it will not be in my lifetime.