Kyle - Auburn, Washington
Themes: tolerance

Have you ever tried to walk down a crowded hallway or in any public area, such as a mall or in a store, only to get completely frustrated when people in front of you come to a stop and block your path or just start to walk slow for no reason. Or how about when driving, a car in front of you will slow down to look at something on the opposite side of the road causing all the traffic to slow down around it or to have someone in a hurry cut you off also almost causing an accident. I would like to think that people don’t do some of these actions on purpose just to make people around them angry, but they are good examples of how people are completely ignorant to their surroundings and to what others around them are doing.

It seems that in today’s society, especially in urban areas, that people have gotten to the point where they think of themselves first and foremost completely oblivious to how their choices or actions affect others around them in a negative way. Wouldn’t it be nice for a change to have people stop and think before they shut that door in your face, cut your car off when driving on the freeway, or suddenly stopping in front of you in a public area? I wish I knew what happened to common courtesy in America.

I believe that if people would just try to slow down their hectic lives a bit and made a conscious choice to be aware of how there actions affect the people around them that this world would start to become a better place. What is everyone in such a hurry for? We only live one lifetime on this Earth, why do we need to rush through it causing misery and frustration just because we think what we are doing is more important than what someone else is doing?

It would be interesting to see what would happen if people started to be more considerate to others around them and if they just tried to make smarter choices. Try opening a door for someone, it’s amazing to see the look of surprise on someone’s face when they realize that someone else is doing something nice for them “just because.” I have been taught that we should always show others common courtesy, I just believe that we would all be happier people if we thought more about the consequences our decisions had before we act on them.