having a positive attitude

Nicole - beaverton, Oregon

I believe in always having a positive attitude. If you think positively when things aren’t going your way you will find you will have a happier life. Luckily, I have been raised by two remodel parents that also believe this, and have taught me to have a positive attitude and not be rude when things aren’t going my way. They get along with others very well and are very nice and well liked by others. The reason that they get along with others so well is because they always have a positive outlook on everything. My mom always seems happy and doesn’t have a negative attitude towards others when things aren’t going her way. That is why she is successful and well respected in life.

A couple of years ago is when I first really realized why having a positive attitude will make you feel better about yourself, when I was on an airplane. Me, my mom and sister were on our way to Canada and we walked towards our seats on the plane and when we got there, there were a couple older grumpy people who were sitting in our assigned seats. My mom politely told them that those were our seats, and they refused to get up and were making excuses and I was getting frustrated. I remembered looking at my mom while she still just had a friendly understanding smile on her face and was trying to be friendly with them until one for the attendants came over and helped them to their real seats.

After we sat down is when I realized how much having a positive attitude will make you look like a good person and also make situations a lot less complicated. There were a lot of people around us who watched the people who were in our seats handle the situation poorly and they were the ones who looked bad. I remember feeling good about the situation afterwards because everything worked out in the end, and we had a positive attitude the whole time, so we didn’t look mean. I know that if my mom wasn’t there to set the example, me and my sister wouldn’t have handled the situation as well, and we wouldn’t have felt as good about the outcome.

I am glad that I have been raised into that having a positive attitude about life, whether the situation is good or bad, it will make your life easier and better. If people don’t realize this, than they handle situations wrong by doing things like getting into confrontations, always being mad, or not being respected. So no matter what the situation is, it is always best to have a positive attitude.