After the Rain there is always a Rainbow

Brooke - Tigard, Oregon

We all face challenges throughout life and if we can handle those challenges in a positive way it is better than handling them in a negative way. I have had to deal with having Epilepsy. I could have chosen to be angry about this and negative but I have chosen to deal with it in a positive way.

The first time I had a seizure I was one years old. My mom had to call 911 and I was taken to the emergency room by ambulance. At that time they put me on a medicine that was a heavy sedative. As a child I had many appointments with the Neurologist at Emanuel Children’s Hospital. I continued to have seizures as a young child, which resulted in a few more ambulance rides and the doctors putting me on different types of medicine to find the right one to stop the seizures.

As I entered elementary school I had a hard time focusing and concentrating on my school work. I also missed a lot of school. This was very challenging for me as a child just starting out in school. I was put on a IEP because of my seizure disorder. It was hard being pulled out of class away from my friends but I always remained positive. The teachers would comment on how I was always smiling and had a positive attitude.

I remained on seizure medication until I was in the 4th grade. By a miracle I had a normal EEG. I was taken off the medication. My life seemed great. I was able to feel like myself for the first time in my life. I was taken off the IEP, I started cheerleading, dance, and was in plays. My family saw a big change in me which made them so happy. I would literally be jumping up and down which I never did before; it was a great feeling.

My 7th grade year my seizures came back. It was very devastating and frustrating. I had to start all over again with being on medicine. I could no longer do the things I was able to do. I again had trouble concentrating and couldn’t remember things. My friends and teachers thought I was acting stupid when really I was having seizures in class. I started therapy so I could learn how to deal with the seizures again. My therapist helped me regain my self esteem and helped me to learn how to self advocate.

I faced a lot of challenges and didn’t give up on the things that I want. I am doing much better in school and I’m on cheerleading. I have learned to deal with having a seizure disorder in a positive way which will help me overcome any challenge I may have in my future.