The Power of One

Kiana - Beaverton, Oregon
Themes: change

I believe that one person can change your life. From the worst to the very best ways, a single being can change the way you think, live, and see things for the rest of your life.

Since the beginning of my life, my mom and I have had an incredible relationship. During my childhood, instead of the Spice Girls or Britney Spears, I wanted to be just like her. I admire the way she carries herself, her eloquent and articulate way with words, and her perfectly organized priorities. There are certain qualities I value that she also holds closest to the heart, such as honesty and integrity. I value these things not just because she told me they were important, but also because she taught me with example. If she were to leave my life right now, I would be a different person, because knowing her has taught me more than I could have ever imagined.

Although that’s my most significant example, I believe that the person who changes your life doesn’t have to raise you or even stay in your life for a while. It could be a person who you accidentally bump into in the grocery store or see walking down the street that alters your views on life.

For instance, in 7th grade it was my friend’s birthday. So, naturally, we kidnapped her! This may sound weird but it’s not actually kidnapping of course. It’s when a group of friends come to your house on your birthday, and rudely awaken you at four or five in the morning. After we woke her up, we proceeded to Shari’s Diner for a very early breakfast. We were being extremely loud and obnoxious, and I wouldn’t doubt if almost everyone in that restaurant loathed us. As we finished out last bites of fries and pancakes, I flagged down our agitated waitress to get our checks. Before I could get the complete sentence out of my mouth, she interrupted to tell me that all of our bills have been paid. I smiled hesitantly and looked around the cozy diner. I spied a sweet looking old man walking out the door who gave me a smile and an acknowledging wave. His twinkling eyes and good-hearted grin will never be forgotten in my mind.

From the person closest to my heart, to a random stranger, my short fifteen years of being on this world has taught me that one person, even one instance, can change your life if you let them.