Write It Off

Corrine - Dillon, Montana

I believe that writing can be a release. When you have ideas or thoughts that you are unable or even afraid to put into words, you can simply write them. Writing can be a place where you vent your frustrations without consequence. Most people have experienced the way words seem to flow in such an easier manner when they are written instead of spoken. The thoughts that seem so jumbled in the mind smooth and flatten onto a two-dimensional sheet of paper or screen, and words are found that one might not have had the ability to discover otherwise.

For me, writing has been a release in several different ways. If I get in an argument with someone or am just frustrated, I will sit in front of a computer screen and type until the page is filled and all of those hot, angry thoughts have subsided. Re-reading what I’ve written gives me a new perspective, and the change of view is always astonishing.

For example, when I was a kid I had a habit of writing my parents notes whenever I became exceedingly upset with them. I’d scrawl my thoughts down on a torn sheet of notebook paper and slip it under their door, before dashing back to my room. A while later my mother would always show up and address my concerns. I’d lay there, silent but listening, until she finished. I wasn’t all that hard to win over, so by the time she was done all of the hurt would be soothed and we’d be back to normal again. Because of writing, I was able to express the feelings that I was otherwise unable to voice.

I cannot even begin to think of what my life would be like if it did not have writing in it. It would be painful to be unable to organize my thoughts and express myself in a venue that could be as personal or as public as I choose it to be. To be unable to explore different ideas and conjure up different stories would be torture. Possessing the ability to read and write is like being given the capability to shape-shift and travel through time. I can be anyone, anywhere, anytime, and that sort of release is extraordinarily hard to come by. That is what writing is to me. That is what I believe.