Family: The Best Support Group

Mallory - Cocoa, Florida

6:30 a.m. “BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!” My alarm clock is screaming at me to wake up. By 7:15 I am out the door on my way to my first rehearsal of the day. Only half of the cast shows up to rehearsal so it is my responsibility to inform some of these people that they are no longer a part of that production. By 10 o’clock I am swallowing down a bowl of cereal and rushing out the door to my first class of the day. Tests and notes and biology labs swarm my day until 3:55. My next stop, rehearsal number two, twenty minutes away, which starts at 4 o’clock. By 6:00, when that rehearsal is over, I am exhausted and on my way to rehearsal number three that runs for another hour. 7:30 rolls around, and it is dinner and study time. After eating a quick dinner, my mom and dad offer nothing but words of encouragement to make it through to tomorrow.

I believe that family and friends are in my life to help me succeed. Although it is my senior year of high school, it is not like high school at all. In fact, I am a sophomore in college with my hands almost around an Associate’s Degree. As if a six course load were not enough, try imagining three plays, a part time job, a boyfriend, and a highly active social life, all of which make life tough for an eighteen year old girl. With roughly five hours of rehearsal a day and an additional five hours of school, one could see where burning the candle at both ends specifically applies to my situation. A few days ago it all started to catch up to me. With five exams and three papers on my plate for the week, I began to crumble. I have never been one to fish for sympathy or to let other people see me cry, but I could tell that the tears would wash over me that day.

My family members studied with me every night and gave me nothing but words of wisdom when those tests were approaching; for two nights my mom and I studied flashcards for at least three hours. My closest friends stayed up late at night to help me form a thesis for a paper and to just lend a supportive hand. Surrounding myself with these people that love me and want to see me succeed is quite possibly the only reason I made it through last week sane. If the positive people I have in my life today were not here, I would not be half as successful as I am. I know people that cannot call their parents friends or even role models and that breaks my heart. I learned at a young age not to take advantage of the people that loved me and with that knowledge I grew to be a better person.

I truly do believe that if surrounded by love and support, anything is possible.