Compared to you, i am nothing…

Erica - South Yarmouth, Massachusetts

Look at the ocean, so deep, gently and calming. Nothing can be wrong with the ocean for it is shimmering over the florescent skies during the day, and hidden peacefully under the multi colored sunset during nightfall. We come to think that the ocean is free from worry, free from stress that crashes before it during the day, but how do we know? How do we know it’s not getting compared to bigger and better things like the high green mountains or the enormous swallowing sky’s? How do we not know that the 1,000,000 pieces of trash getting thrown at it doesn’t affect it at all, or the ships deafening down on it doesn’t even hurt a little. For all we know an ocean might not even be an ocean at all, it could be but a sea of tears, of empty hope swallowed up by the land around it. Well, sometimes I am that ocean of emptiness. I am what a present myself but sometimes the inner pain is as deep as the seas around me. I have been compared all my life to something bigger and greater than myself. Being put down constantly only gives me the strength to carry on and prove the world wrong. Words are my waves crashing down on me day in and day out. “How are you ever going to get into college with your grades, what you are going to do with your life, I wish you could be more like…” Like what? Like my brother, like my best friend who gets straight A’s, like the MVP on my volleyball team? If the sea never believed it could be as big and powerful as it really is, then it would be nothing more than a puddle splattered across the roads before it. If I look at myself as nothing at all, as a puddle, then how will I ever see my true potential, how big and successful I can really be? A storm is like grown ups, the thunder striking me with pain and the stormy skies just as dark as my emotions. I have never had anybody encouraging me, not one person that ever said “Erica, I believe you can do it”, but I can’t blame anyone for that but myself. For, with all the storms comes the sun. I look to myself to brighten my skies. Like the sun, I might not be that bright on the outside, but inside my spirit and happiness is the true light that shines threw. The sun is there not to darken people’s days, but to show everyone that things can always get brighter with happiness and warmth. Well in my ocean, the cynical ship has sailed, and I am not on it. I have first class on the ship to success, and no matter where I sail it too and no matter what the currents, I know I will always be able to adjust my sails, This, I believe.