Hard Work

Matthew - Fleming Island, Florida
Themes: environment, work

As a young kid many people are molded into the person they are today, I am no exception. When I was entering seventh grade, I got a new soccer coach. He was very serious and instilled upon me a belief that hard work will lead to success in what ever I do.

I remember for the longest time I hated the practices that he would put the team through: sprints, sit-ups, and pushups, all with suck a little break in between I had to push myself constantly. I remember one day talking to him and he asked if I knew why he put me through all the strenuous workouts constantly. Of course, I figured that it was to prepare me for the season and get me in shape. I was shocked when he told me it was to prepare us for life.

As I grew older I understood what he meant. The hard work that I was put through was to help me be successful not only in sports but also in school. I realized that over time I had grown used to all the struggles I was put through in practices had given me a belief that I now live my life by. Hard work will lead to success in what ever it is I choose to do.

Freshman year it was getting close to tryouts for the school soccer team. At all the conditionings I worked as hard as I could just for a chance to play varsity as a freshman, something no one had done since the school had opened. Everyone thought that I wouldn’t be able to. This drove me to work even harder. When tryouts came around I was ready. The tryouts lasted a whole week and I had never pushed myself as hard before for five days in a row. This caught the coach’s eye and he told me that I was going to be playing varsity. All my hard work had led to me finally reaching my goal because of all the hard work I put into it.

In school hard work is also needed. All throughout high school working hard has been the key to having good grades in most classes even the AP ones. It was never easy to play three varsity sports and still keep my grades up. When I would get home from practice it was time to hit the books and make sure I practiced what I had learned that same day. In the end it worked out that I would be successful in school by focusing and working hard on all my assignments.

A hard working attitude was instilled in me by one of my coaches. This belief of hard work that he brought to the table has stuck with me and now it is what I live my life by. By working hard I can be successful in what ever it is that I choose to do with my life.