One Size Never Fits All

Andrea - New York, New York
Themes: tolerance

One Size Never Fits All

I think I know a thing or two. Or three. And I know them the way all of us know things—from personal experience. We live, observe, learn, and absorb lessons, always from our individual vantage points. Then we incorporate, generalize, and globalize those lessons learned to arrive at “truths.”

And therein lies the rub—we all seem to know what is true. Yet your experience and, perhaps, education has taught you one thing, while mine has taught me another. And that paradox is precisely what brought about my belief in a basic, singular tenet: One size never fits all.

I have come to understand that what is true for me is not necessarily true for you. (Mind you, it doesn’t free me from believing that my gestalt is wiser or more objective than yours, but it does help me realize you have come by your truths as legitimately and in much the same way I did mine—by being an earthling.)

It stands to reason (mine, at least) that we each try to make sense of the world. We each have our own perspective and reach our own conclusions, no matter what continent we live on, no matter what the culture. That is why there is no one psychological theory, philosophy, religion, social map, paradigm, government, family, lifestyle, product, and on and on, that will ever suit, or make sense to, one and all. Nor will every person who seeks explanations find them in faith, or Freud, or any other orthodox, or unorthodox, Western or non-Western precepts.

One size can’t, won’t, and couldn’t possibly fit everyone, given how complicated and layered our lives and psyches are. If we recognize that one size is an impossibility, and even undesirable, it opens us to be more tolerant of other people.

Even though truths, as each and every individual knows them to be, can become fixed and be reaffirmed, they can also mutate and expand. So, when I want to influence the hearts and minds of others, I try to weave my viewpoints into garments that will suit them rather than into amorphous, abstract pieces of cloth that haven’t in any way been tailored to their dimensions.

I find that strategy to be not only useful, but often effective, simply because we aren’t all shaped the same. Now, tell me, isn’t that the truth!

* * *