Brelynda - auburn, Washington

As we get older the more independent we become or think we become. It’s hard to understand the mind of a teenager, but I

believe it’s a stage we go through in life. When the word independent comes to mind we automatically think of something positive

or the freedom that you have chosen to be on your own, but I believe independence can have a negative side to it. It may be self-given, but my experience puts a whole new face on it.

After living 15 years with my parents and siblings together, I have learned how to adapt to things such as sharing, giving,

and living off my parents. All teenagers go through this! Later on my parents get a divorce out of thin air, putting my siblings and myself in a position to choose sides.

A few months later my mother and sisters flew back to the United States, leaving me in the Marshall Islands with my father

until summer. The moment the plane flew off, it hit me, or to say, reality smacked me in the face. No longer were my mother and father able to support me and the things I wanted because one was on the other side of the world and the other was going through the whole depression state. I knew I’m going to have to live on my own. Stuck on an island that I am a stranger to, I would have never thought of doing things without my parents and

family, but I did anyways.

Realizing that independence can’t only be self-given or your way always, but can just happen to you anytime. I believe no

matter how much someone decides to become an independent young adult, we have no control over it. I didn’t have the option

to live on my own, and I didn’t choose to be, but instead a bad situation turned the table around to just giving me that.

One thing my mother told me was to never 100 percent depend on others to survive, or as you can see, you’ll end up divorced and alone. She meant it’s never too early to learn how to live on your own, be independent, and live the life you have dreamed of. This experience not only made me a stronger person emotionally and

strategically, but it certainly prepares you for life.