I Believe In Our Troops

MaKenna - Yarmouthport, Massachusetts

I Believe In My Marine

“And I will always do my duty

No matter what the price

I’ve counted up the cost

I know the sacrifice

Oh and I don’t wanna die for you

But if dying’s asked of me

I’ll bear that cross with honor

Cause freedom don’t come free”

-Toby Keith

I believe in the men and women who are fighting and dying for our country every day and night, more specifically I believe in my Marine.

We started dating when I was a sophomore and he was a senior in high school. He is now a Private in the United States Marine Corps and stationed in North Carolina. As a seventeen-year-old he made the ultimate sacrifice and did not hesitate to respond to the call of duty even as it brings him away from the only life he has ever known. He also entered the Corps in a time of war. As the speaker at his graduation ceremony from the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, South Carolina, put it, anyone can join in peacetime, but it takes a special man to join in wartime.

My boyfriend’s decision to join the Marines brought about a different face of military life for me. Now every time I hear his name, or someone mention the Marines or the military, my heart skips a beat; every time I hear the Pledge of Allegiance or the National Anthem, my heart swells with pride; every time I see a marine bumper sticker, license plate, or decal on a car I feel a personal connection to it’s driver; every time I see an ad for the marines on T.V or in a magazine, my tears fall. When I watch the news stories of the war I do not see nameless soldiers a half a world away from us. I see my friends, my boyfriend, and my stepfather. I routinely start my countdowns the day he leaves for until I can be back in his arms again. I feel the pride radiating from him as he puts on his uniform to perfection. I witness the courage, as he has to say tearful goodbyes to mother, father, best friends, and me, his girlfriend and fight for something he believes in. He has chosen to defend our country so that we don’t have to. I believe in his mission, I believe in his pride, I believe in his courage, I believe in his bravery, and I believe in him, a United States Marine.

This holiday season lets remember and pray for all of our troops out there. Many of them are spending lonely holidays on bases across the world and in the United States. Lets also remember their mothers, fathers, brothers and sisters, friends, and girlfriends and boyfriends who would give anything to have their loved ones back with them. May god bless them and their families, and keep our troops safe.