Personal Philosophy Essay

Luke - Sammamish, Washington

My philosophy is fairly simple. The purpose for you being on this planet is completely your choice. Your dreams determine you purpose on this planet. The overall purpose of life is to be happy, and get the most out of life that you possibly can. We all walk a path of life, a path containing many twists and turns. Our dreams determine where and when these turns occur. Every decision we make in life is to lead us toward our dreams. There is never a straight trail to what we want. There are obstacles, or “brick walls.” “The brick walls are there for a reason. They are not there to shut us down or keep us from getting what we want. They are there to make us prove how much we want something” +(Dr. Randy Pausch). Our purpose as humans is to get through the brick walls, no matter what they may be, and achieve our dreams. The obstacles can be pretty tough, things that can threaten even our lives themselves, and things that make us step up and prove ourselves. But as we battle through them, we must also embrace every experience we have because life is just too short! “Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.”- James Dean. When our time is over, we want to be able to look back and say we had a good time. We want to be able to look back at our memories and think “Yeah, I was and am happy with my life.” To do this we must grasp every experience we have because it is part of who we are. We also must learn from experiences that don’t turn out in our favor. If we do this, we will become more successful toward achieving the things we want. But at the same time, we must not be too cautious. Risks are a big part of life, and we must embrace them even if we fail. Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team. But instead of rolling over and feeling sorry for himself, he got back up. He then became what many consider the best player in NBA history. “The key to life is to fall down seven times, and get up eight times.”- Paulo Coelho. Basically, we all will fall at one point or another. If you can get back up and learn from it, you are more likely to have a better result next time. We must keep trying to achieve the things we want, even if it is risky. “It is better to fail spectacularly than to go along un-noticed.” –Dr. Randy Pausch. At the end of life, if you can honestly say that you gave it your best shot, and left it all out there, you have led a successful life. Sometimes when you walk off the field, the scoreboard doesn’t show what you want it to. But if you can say that you tried as hard as you can, it was a positive experience. I believe all of this simply because I have found this to be true in reaching my personal goals so far in life. Everything just seems to work out better when I follow this philosophy. So basically, follow your dreams, give it your all, leave it all out there, and embrace every single moment of it, because it will be over way too soon.