Loved Ones

Quintara - Auburn, Washington

My parents have always looked out for me they have always been strict on me about what I am doing, where I am going, or who I am with my parents give me space and everything but not enough. Since I got into my teenage years I have seen a lot of things going on around me like loosing my closest friends I lost 4 of my closest friends to gang violence and dugs most of my closest friends haven’t even made it to 17 or 18, my friends not going to school, and getting pregnant at the age of 15 or 16.

I remember one day I was at home and my mom called she wanted to show me that another teenager that was my age had go shot in some part of Seattle at first I didn’t care but then my cell phone rang and it was one of my friends they had told me that this boy named Chezeray was shot in killed he had got shot twice in the head, that’s when had realized that he was the one on the news my mom had showed me. I was hurt not only because that was one of my friends but that I had not seen him in a couple of years and was mad that we didn’t keep in touch we had lost contact and the place he had got shot my mom would not let me go. I believe that if my mom had not said no to me that day that I would have gotten hurt because I would have been next to him and we would have been talking he died only a couple of months ago and it still hurts me to this day. Another one of my friends were killed he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got in the way of the bullet and was also shot twice but when the police found him he was under a car waiting for someone to find him but when some one did he was already gone.

There are girls my age running around here having babies and there parents are not doing anything about it. The youngest girl I know that has a baby is 14 but she is 15 now. These young girls drop out of school and don’t even finish school struggling to feed there kid they can’t even get a good job because they don’t have a high school education and they will do anything for money. Young girls are also trying to raise there baby on there own because the dad is not there because he is too young to have a kid. Every time my mom hears or even thinks about young girls with babies she always comes to me and my sister with a lecture it gets annoying after while but I still listen. I don’t disrespect my parents I have a great deal of respect for them because they look out for me and will always be there no matter what. I get a lecture every time I leave the house with my boyfriend or with one of my friends about what not to do and what to do.

To me how kids act and what they do is because of the environment they are born into. When I am around my friends and at there houses I look at how they live and where they live I don’t have a problem but it shows me why they act like they do. Everyone that has problems with there parents or they done have very close family they look at me and say that I’m a lucky person and I believe that if my parents and I weren’t so close that I would probably be running the streets coming home whenever I wanted doing whatever I wanted or not going to school a lot of my friends say they would like to live the life I live I tell my parents everything well maybe not everything I lie to them about certain things but still they are very strict about what I do.