State Cup Champs 04

Patrick - Denver, Colorado

Ever since I was five years old I have been consumed by a fiery passion for soccer. No other sport has ever given me the same amount of fulfillment. Going hand in hand with my passion for soccer, was my undying want to win. My eyes were fixed on the seemingly unreachable Colorado State Cup trophy.

When I reached the age of fourteen I realized my team was in no shape to win the trophy, we were not even the best in our league, which was three leagues from the top. I needed to do something or my dream was going to be just that, a dream. I took a chance and guest played for an experimental team, that brought together some of the best players from multiple teams. Three games in the blue Adidas jersey with the clubs silver and blue badge and I was sold.

Lucky for me, everyone else also decided to stay. A new season and a new team brought my dream to light. An undefeated regular season and a renewed sense of excitement readied our team for the tournament. We tore through the competition in early round play, building our confidence. 5 easy wins and we found ourselves in the final game only ninety minutes away from the trophy. Game day was Mothers Day 2004. Cloudy and overcast, it felt like we were in San Diego during the early morning, there was not a peep of sun. It was not cold and not hot; there was nothing more then a slight breeze. Twelve o’clock noon and all of us guys were putting on our gear, pulling our laces a bit tighter and straightening out any twists in our socks, all in the name of the final game. Pictures were taken, and the final good lucks were bid. We settled into our warm-up with a sense of sincerity and passion never exerted by us before, we all wanted the glass soccer ball mounted on the wooden platform reading “2004 Colorado State Cup Champions.” Soon we took our positions and waited for the referee to blow his whistle.

My first touches were a bit shaky and sporadic as my nerves had the best of me, everyone else was in the same boat. A few minutes in and both teams settled down and started to play good soccer. Back and forth action from end to end persisted nearly the entire match with both teams unable to break the deadlock. Sweat soaked jerseys and red flushed faces we pushed on. Seven minutes to go and a cutting pass reached our forward only twelve yards from goal, a small touch then a gracefully placed shot beat the goalie and struck the back of the net. Dropping to his knees was our forward within seconds the whole team was tangled in a pile in the opponents goal box shouting and cheering, goose bumps flaring up over our bodies. We had captured the 2004 Colorado State championship. Lifting the trophy over our heads and kissing it one by one we celebrated.

Now soon we realized that State Cup was really a small accomplishment, and other seemingly impossible feats lay ahead. But that experience has ingrained in my brain that I should never let my dreams die, because as Adidas would say, “Impossible is nothing.”