Will power is the strongest power.

Marissa - Portland, Oregon

I believe will-power is the strongest power. Will-power is strength; the stronger your will-power the more strength you hold. With stronger will-power, you’ll make honest decisions. Strong will-power will stop you from doing bad things to yourself; stop you from abusing yourself. It could also give you the strength to never start.

A person with strong will-power can say no, and will say no when offered something that could harm them, or send their life down the drain.

Scenario 1: Feeble will-power: Someone offers you ecstasy, you consider, you think you’ll be fine, because they know what they’re doing. They pull out a bag of smiles. You start to get nervous. You hold out your hand. After you feel the tablet dissolve on your tongue, you feel like you’re wrapped in velvet. Your arm brushes against the person walking past you, it’s the most euphoric feeling you could ever imagine. You feel like you’re falling; like you’re flying. You inhale and tremble; you exhale and somehow catch your breath. You love. You can’t stop. You don’t want to stop. Your body tingles then goes numb but your cheeks feel warm. You’ve been smiling too long. Normally it would burn and ache, but instead you enjoy the warmth. Your hands tremble, and it’s comical; you feel like your fingers are dancing. You fall in-love with the man next to you, the man who made your day so incredible.

You fall in love with the euphoria. You want it… you want it.

You try again, and again… and again. You can’t stop; you’ve never felt better. You don’t want it to stop. You don’t want to know what else could possibly be going on. You want to feel it. The tingle, the rush, your cheeks warm. But they don’t get warm; the muscles don’t cramp anymore.

You come back to earth. You feel nothing. You don’t laugh, you don’t cry. There’s nothing to smile about anymore. Your mind has shut off the reason to be happy. It’ll take years till you’re back. Or you’ll never be back.

Scenario 2: Strengthened will-power: Someone offers you ecstasy, you consider it. Then you realize what your life would be like. You’d lose the people around you. You’d find no happiness. You think of your parents, you hear them, they remind you don’t do anything you’d be ashamed to tell us about. Your stomach spins. You say no, in fear that you’d lose a friend. Then, you question yourself: why would I want to be their friend? You raise your chin and murmur out a no, then repeat No. with pride and dignity.

You continue your life without that man. You laugh at movies; you cry at funerals, you cry with a smile at the sight of your newborn child. You feel, you live, and you know who you are. And you always have.

Strong will-power will enable you to fight for what you believe in and never back down. You’ll keep your pride and stay honest with yourself. The stronger the will-power the better the person, it’ll make you strive for happiness and succeed, whatever that means to you. Will-power can make you strong; it can make you weak, and can control every choice you make. It can make you succeed, it can make you fail. Will-power controls every aspect of your life. The stronger your will-power, the stronger your life.