dachri - cerulean, Kentucky

Whips in horse racing

The issue of whether or not whips should be used has some very valid arguments for and against. This issue has been going on for quite some time and no one really has any true answers. Those who are pro whips can give valid arguments of why they are necessary and explain that whips are not used cruelly and sometimes the whips save drivers from accidents. And those who are on the opposing side also show they can easily do without them.

They say that whips are absolutely valuable in the guiding of the horses and in controlling a reckless horse which could otherwise cause an accident which could be fatal to the driver and those around him.

They also say that the horses do not feel the pain the same way that humans do.

Those who reject the idea of using whips, say that the horse really does feel pain the same way we humans do,

If the whips were not unpleasant the horses would not respond to them the way they do. They say that whips are also not at all vital in controlling any horse. A good horseman should be able to easily control the horse using just the reins. Whips are not needed to keep horse racing alive either. Without them horses would still race they would still win and the rate at which they run will not change a whole lot either. Posted on the web page: One horse racing fan concludes that all arguments against the whips are in valid “The anti-jumping brigade have had a temporary win and so the anti-whip brigade has decided to jump on the bandwagon. For goodness sake, thoroughbred racehorse is generally the most pampered beast in the animal world. These outcries against the perceived brutality of the whip-rider ranks with the ignorant outcries against “molesting” of sheep. Direct your anger, if you must, against the mindless violence in the world and leave horseracing alone. “But on “horse,” a news reporter wrote a short article on a race that was held without the use of whips.

By all accounts this past Saturday’s “whipping-free” race at Indiana Downs was a success. No one got hurt. The best horse won. And several of the drivers involved in the race (including those who came onto the track without a whip) said things went smoothly.

Here is a quote from Race Secretary Scott Peine: “It worked out really well…We had a couple customers — not too many — who were concerned about us defrauding the public, and that the favorite wasn’t going to do well. Ninety percent of the people thought it was a good idea and were willing to try it. It was contested like a normal race. There was a lot of movement, which was good to see.”

Fair enough. So why are track officials so eager to declare that the race was just a “novelty” that isn’t likely to be repeated this year? Sounds like a cop-out to me. The more often these sorts of races are held the more quickly betters will be accustomed to the idea that a whipping-free race can still be a fair one. He points out that if people would see this more often, they would be more open to this style. The american horse trotting association held a similar race. But the rules were that “Drivers could carry a whip for use in emergency situations,”

On, Monty Roberts, (internationally acclaimed horse trainer, animal behaviorist and author of the best-selling book “The Man Who Listens to Horses,” states,

“A whip has no place in horsemanship at all”. “It’s medieval for horses.” He also points out that a horse that wants to win, that has that competitive spirit and natural “will to win” is always going to be a far better racing prospect than the one that has to be beaten for half of the race.” On Belo Interactive Made a sur vey on this very subject. They found that those who thought that are a necessary part of the sport, Got 10.61% 19 votes Those who thought Whips can be used, but stricter limits need to be enforced 7.82% 14 votes And then whose who want to Ban the use of whips completely81.56% 146 votes. I think we shoould take a closer look et their impact oon the horses