A Filthy World

Heather - Rayne, Louisiana
Themes: environment

What would people do if, when arriving home, they discovered their homes were filled with old junk and disgusting, smelly trash? I, for one, would be pretty upset to see my home polluted in this way. Unfortunately, this very thing is happening to Earth’s organisms more and more frequently, and humans are largely to blame. Many people today do not seem to care for the environment around them. They are lazy, sloppy beings who could do so much more for their planet. I believe all Earth residents should band together to stop the planet’s destruction, and help make it a healthier place to live.

Many parts of Earth’s environment are being polluted daily by humans. The atmosphere alone is being polluted with excess carbon dioxide each year from burning fossil fuels, pollutants from power plants and gas guzzling cars, and deforestation. Why do humans feel the need to waste and destroy? I believe some of Earth’s pollution problems could easily be swept away with more recycling worldwide. Numerous European countries have already begun to do their part by salvaging different types of paper, plastic, cardboard, glass, tires, and other reusable materials. This trash can become a whole new thing, rather than be dumped in a landfill where underground water resources could become polluted. Other countries, like America, could easily begin this recycling process, too. Some may think it tiresome at first, but it could soon become a simple routine.

Not only can humans make an impact on Earth’s environment by recycling, but more energy efficient ways of living could also be a big help! If one lives close to work or school, why not ride a bike or walk? This could also be a way for us to be healthier. There would even be less traffic. Plus, with the lack of excess carbon dioxide emissions, perhaps even global warming could be slowed down. The positive effects of healthier living could be seen all around the globe!

I wholeheartedly believe all humans should start doing their part to protect the world’s precious environment. However, there are some people who might argue that Earth’s pollution problem is not that bad. Many believe that if they are not personally affected, then there is no dilemma at all. They also believe that humans only comprise a tiny percentage of the world’s population, making is impossible for them to do enough damage to matter. I strongly disagree with this idea.

No matter the thoughts of others, it is evident that something very wrong is going on with Earth’s environment, and humans are the major cause of it. I do not understand how so many people just don’t care. I hate the way humans treat this wonderful planet! Even seeing someone litter can set me off! I do not believe anyone would be appreciative of a stray animal pooping in their home, so why do humans trash the Earth? It is past time for humans to step up to the plate and clean this planet!