Fishing for Answers

Kevin - Chalfont, Pennsylvania

We live in a fast pace, results based world; where nature and solitude can be easily put on the back burner. Too often people are preoccupied with work, relationships, and climbing the social ladder. I would like to present a challenge to those people. Take a day off from work, an afternoon off from a spouse, or time off from your portfolio, and take a fishing trip.

The value of a fishing trip isn’t in the catch, it’s in the pursuit. It’s about the time you spend in solitude attempting to get in touch with the environment around you. No matter how hard you try or how fast you go; you won’t reach success any quicker. Once you give up control to your environment, you will realize that you are powerless to it. Life, also, is not a rewards-based endeavor. Just like fishing, life is about the journey and who you meet along the way.

Nature has the ability to humble you, and show you how short life really is. Whether it be a creek or lake or forest, nature is enduring. I am constantly awe inspired by the sheer magnitude of our natural surroundings. In our lifetime, as human beings, we may not notice the changes in our environment. Old rooted trees may stand as tall when we die, as when we were born. In our eyes, they are unchanged. We are not. We have much to learn from nature’s wisdom.

Fishing is a peaceful activity; inverse to almost everything that encompasses life in the 21st century. In today’s world a majority of people are only worried about their own agendas. A quiet fishing trip can teach you a lot about yourself. Fishing tends to help you put your life into perspective. I find that often times I get caught up with the superficial things. We forget what is really important, such as friends and family.

Catch and release. Humility. The practice of returning fish after you catch them. Acknowledging that you’ve bested the fish but that you are not arrogant enough to end its life. That in itself is a life lesson. And if you do manage to catch that fairy tale fish, admire it, and be inspired by the mystery of the catch.

So I challenge you. Go out and take a fishing expedition, dare to dream. Whether you desire to get in touch with nature, clear your head of this hectic world, or simply to catch the big one, go. You would be surprised how something so effortless can satisfy your soul so fully.

In this I believe; the power of fishing.