I Believe My Furry Family Member Has Improved My Life

Marie - Orangevale, California

Having a pet as part of a family is something I could never understand. Why would people get so attached to their pets? I could never relate. When I was a child we would sometimes get a family pet, but they were never in our house for very long.

When I was 16 years old my friend gave me a puppy name Dillon for my birthday present. I probably had Dillon for two full weeks before my father found a new home for him.

It all happened two years ago, when I got Rosco. My husband and I knew a dog would be a large responsibility for the two of us. Neither one of us has had children, so we have never had to take care of anyone but ourselves. We pondered the idea of getting a dog, over and over again. My husband and I went with the decision of just looking and not bringing a dog home. When, I saw this little white fuzzy fluff ball and held him, he laid his head in between my arms and I instantly fell in love.

We took him home and I won’t lie at first he cried and cried for he was only four months old and I said “what the hell was I thinking.” After Rosco was adjusted, he ended up going to the bathroom in every room of our house, and I was still saying “what the hell was I thinking.”

About six months later a bit of training and figuring out how to save our floors from being destroyed. My husband and I started to realize we could not be in our home without Rosco. He completes our home.

When we come home, and Rosco sees us, he pounces with such a happy and excited look on his face. I can never be in a bad mood when I come home or if I am, it changes instantly after seeing Rosco. When I tell Rosco we are going to the dog park he gets so excited, I look at him and you would think he just won the lotto with all that excitement! Rosco has taught me to relax and just live for today, I have learned to relax more and enjoy the small things that are so precious in life that we take for granted.

The joy of owning a dog has been endless for me and has filled a void in my life in many different ways. A furry family member is so unconditional in the way they love you and live their life. Dogs live for the most simple things in life.

Adopting a dog has taught me how it is to be responsible for something besides myself. After all he is my family member and will be for many years to come.

There are the days when I go to Starbucks, Blockbuster or the grocery store with Rosco, and I get the “no dogs allowed.” I understand there is healthcare issues and that some people are allergic to pets. However, I wish in the future there will be more dog friendly places and some day the world is in the same place as me that our furry friends are now part of some of our families as well as children. My furry family member has improved and brought so much joy to my life.