Timeless Uncertainty

AlohaLani - Boulder City, Nevada
Themes: question

There is no escaping uncertainty. When my English professor gave my class the assignment of writing an essay of what I believe in, excited couldn’t begin to describe my enthusiasm. When in college are you ever asked to write a paper on what you think? What you wonder? What you believe? As soon as I could, I ran to my dorm room to type up a paper all about what I think–not on someone else’s thoughts, not a critique of someone else’s paper, not a summary of someone else’s beliefs. Just mine. Suddenly I faced a problem I had never considered. What do I believe in?

At the uncertain age of 18, what can one truly believe in? What is the one belief you hold higher than any other? It’s not that I don’t believe in anything. I believe in true love, happiness, hope, freedom, aliens, peace, Nirvana, the decency of man, family and friends, Santa Clause, the power of one person, women are strong, music is the key to the soul, laughter is nature’s medicine, dreams can come true if you’re willing to work for them, J.F.K. wasn’t killed by Oswald, knowledge is power, and there will never be a cure for the common stupid. It’s just that at this point in my life I’m not sure if I know myself enough to have one belief held higher than the rest. Which is why, for the purpose of this essay, I believe in uncertainty.

Think back to the past when you were in my position, when the world was seemingly new, optimistic, and trusting to those who had sympathetic views on the world. At this point in life, you’re still trying to figure out who you are, where you’re going, what you want to be, who you want to be. With all these thoughts weighing on such inexperienced minds, can you really hold the uncertainty of the youth against them? Grown men and women will continue this struggle to answer these philosophical questions for the rest of their lives. An old man on his death bed is faced with the question; is there a God? These questions are not only normal for anyone to ask, they are what make us unique as a species. We are the only known beings that do not react on instinct alone, but also have the ability to think and reason. It’s only natural with the constant chaos of our thoughts; some of them would come out to be doubt.

The world we live in today can be frightening at times, especially with so much uncertainty. People want to be sure they are making the right choice even if they don’t know what that may be. People have a choice. People have the right to change their minds. People should not feel ashamed of inexperience. I believe in uncertainty.