Drinking and Driving

Natalie - Boonville, Indiana
Themes: setbacks

I believe that you should never, ever drink and drive. Now, people can say that all they want but I honestly stand strongly behind it. On November 8th, 2006 my mom’s brother, my uncle, Jeff had a car wreck that never would have happened if it wasn’t for the fact that he had too much to drink.

Ever since then I have watched my mother and grandparents be torn apart while trying to take care of my uncle that yes, lived, but is equivalent to a newborn baby. By this I mean he doesn’t walk, talk, or eat. He even struggles just to open his eyes. It’s hard to believe that a decision so small can have such a huge effect on not just his life, but everyone’s around him.

I believe that drinking and driving is the most unintelligent decision that a person could make. You might as well as made the decision to kill yourself or to murder someone else; because that is the risk you are taking. Not only did my uncle ruin his life, but he ruined everyone’s who care for him also. He left the entire burden, the finances, and the court struggles with his still not yet complete divorce, for the ones who loved him to take care of.

Coming from me, a seventeen year old teenager, I used to would’ve never have given this much thought. But in my personal view, my uncle’s decision of getting in the car after drinking and the bad outcome has left me feeling helpless. I sit back and watch my mother and grandparents struggle to get up in the morning, as they try to cope with and help Jeff as much they can. But there is nothing I can do. I can’t make my uncle better, talk with them without upsetting them, or make any of the major decisions for them.

Basically, it all boils down to my belief that drinking and driving is the worst decision anyone can make in their life. I will never choose to get in a car after drinking and hope that many others follow me. Still with me today, this bad experience has lead me to believe that no one should ever, ever drink and drive.