I Believe in Being Adaptable in a Whole New World

Sandra - Riverside, California
Themes: change

When I was in my last year of high school, I realized those great moments spent with my family and friends were getting shorter every day. The time to attend college was getting closer. Thinking about leaving my friends and family was absolutely hard for me. I just couldn’t imagine being alone in a place that was completely new for me. The good thing was that my sister was coming with me as well. She was getting an MBA in the same university I was about to enroll in. At least I wasn’t alone; that was the only thing that made me feel relatively better.

My last day in Honduras finally arrived. I was extremely nervous about starting a new life style, new culture, new language, and new people where I didn’t know anyone. It was my time to start from zero in every aspect. I kept trying to view the positive things of everything, but my tears couldn’t hold the day my family took me to the airport. I would never forget that depressing moment. I felt like I wasn’t going to adapt without them. They were also very depressed by the time my sister and I left to California.

I tried to be strong, but I couldn’t. My sister kept telling me that everything was going to be fine. She said “don’t worry, we are going to adapt quickly”. Her words finally made me feel better. I was ready to start a new life full of new adventures and experiences. I felt so nervous when the plane was landing at LAX. But I was even more nervous when we were about to arrive on La Sierra University. I was just hoping everything looked like I imagined. I still felt somewhat depressed, but I just kept saying to myself that I was capable of adapting into a whole new environment and life style. Two months later, I knew we are all capable of adapting into a whole new world.

I believe in being adaptable, because without a willingness to change, I would have missed my chance to live in a whole new world. This means that in order to adapt properly, we must be prepared to live in a new environment, and therefore feel determined to handle that radical change in our lives. I now feel my life belongs to this place. Now I have many friends. I just love this place! It definitely feels like everyone’s a big family, and that’s the best part of it. I like it so much that I would love to stay here after my studies are done. I know that’s the best for me. This life style is even better than I imagined. I was so scared, but I know God gave me the courage and the opportunity to come here.