Ryan - Auburn, Washington
Themes: golden rule

When people grow up and get older, they lose touch with the simple things in life that you learn at a very young age. I believe the things we learned in kindergarten are the most important skills we use in our everyday lives. In kindergarten, you were taught numerous things like social skills, what’s right from what’s wrong, and respect.

One skill you are acquired with is the golden rule. The golden rule is simple; treat others how you want to be treated. In kindergarten, and basically throughout your whole elementary experience I know they drilled this sucker into you. The golden rule covers a lot of turf, I mean if you treat others how you want to be treated then you will treat them with respect, you will share with them, you won’t bully them, and you wouldn’t fight them. Everything would go so smoothly if everyone followed this.

Social skills are something that your kindergarten teachers focused a lot on. They taught you how to act around people, this was mainly stuff like keep your hands to yourself, and other things like that. These social skills also included the conversational rules that you possess. These conversational rules include things like not interrupting when the teacher or anyone is talking. Also, how to wait your turn, and how to interact with others.

I feel that people start to lose track of some of this critical knowledge the moment someone isn’t drilling it into them, and right when they start to get a little bit of freedom some of the skills tend to slip away. For example, how many fights are there in elementary school? I honestly can not even remember one. Now think about middle school and high school… now the numbers are going up, and I believe this to be a lack of these teachers constantly hassling you and telling you what to do. Teenagers my age, now have the choice to do what they want, for some people its right and for some it’s wrong. Now that you’re in high school, you can do what you want. With this freedom, there are just consequences, and not a lesson learned for those who do wrong. Perhaps maybe the teachers should take the time to maybe give them an extra shot, talk it over with them. This may seem like babying them, or helping them out like elementary school. But if everyone used the kindergarten method, and everyone treated others how they wanted to be treated, I feel that there would be more sincerity among everyone. Teachers should really still be helping the students out more, and continue giving them little reminders and letting them know, because if they keep these simple skills through middle school and high school, and everyone still possesses this knowledge, then wouldn’t we start to just help each other out. Everyone could just help each other out, and have one another’s “backs.” The world would be a lot better, and a more peaceful place.