I Believe a Friendship Can Last a Lifetime

Leslie - Rancho Cucamonga, California

I believe that a friendship can last a lifetime. I met Chelsea when my family moved to a new neighborhood in 1994. Chelsea’s family lived three doors down from us so they were one of the first families we met. If I remember it correctly she and I started playing together the very next day.

I am just a few months older than she is so we experienced things at about the same time so it became easy for us to understand each other. Our friendship started to be tested as we grew up. We briefly grew apart because our interests changed. We both had our own group of friends who we began to hang out with more than we did each other. However, we quickly realized that we could still be close friends and just enjoy different things. Today, after almost fifteen years of being friends I believe that it is our differences that make us closer than we have ever been before. Despite our differences she and I have been able to communicate with each other very well. She’s someone I can go to when I need to get something off of my chest and she’ll be there just to listen and to calm me down.

I believe the toughest thing that she and I had to overcome was our different moral and spiritual beliefs. My Christianity has always been something very important to me. Chelsea is the complete opposite though. She has never really gone to church, which is something that has just become routine for me. In turn, she and I do not believe in the same things. However, since we have known each other for such a long time we have been able to put those things aside when it comes to each other.

I enjoy being able to look back with her and just talk about all that we have been through both good and bad in order to get to where we are today. We’ve gotten so close that her parents even call me their other daughter. It’s nice to be able to be so connected with someone that I can now view to be a sister.

I believe that friendships can last for a lifetime because I have not only seen it happen between Chelsea and I but I’ve seen it happen in many other people. It has not always been the easiest thing to do, but I believe that it is worth the effort to try and find a lifelong friend. I am glad to say that being friends with Chelsea has played an important part in my becoming the person that I am today. It has been an overall learning experience. I believe that it has taught me how to show understanding and compassion as well as patience and tolerance. It is an opportunity that I wish everyone could have the chance to experience and if you do get the chance to take advantage of it.