My Personal Philosophy

Allie - Sammamish, Washington

I was never really pushed into a certain religion when I was growing up. My Dad was a Lutheran when he was younger, so when someone asked me what religion I was, I would just say I was a Christian. But, I never really felt I was one. As I sat down to think of my personal philosophy, some of the views of Christianity came to mind.

Over the past few years, my best friends started to get me more and more into Christianity. This past summer, I went to a bible study camp with my two best friends and I feel like everything changed. I finally felt like I had values that I believed in and could follow. At this camp is where my beliefs really grew.

I got to this camp not really knowing what to expect. Actually, I wasn’t thinking about what I was going to learn there at all when I arrived, I was just thinking about how much fun I was going to have. As the first day of camp went on, I had a blast. When the second day came around, I was ready for a day full of entertainment, but there was one thing standing in the way of that and it was chapel. Chapel is the time where you learn and study God and events in the Bible. It wasn’t that I was dreading chapel; I just didn’t know what to think about it. We all came in and sat down, and the pastor started talking about building walls. The walls are built to block out things or to keep things inside in our lives. As he went on, I was suddenly hooked on what he was saying. From then on, I was excited to learn all these new things. It is hard to explain, but everything about these lessons fascinated me. At the end of the camp, I felt I could understand and apply the lessons to my life.

It is hard to write down my philosophy, because I am still not sure of all the aspects of it. But, if you asked me right now I would tell you that I believe God has placed everyone on the earth to fulfill their certain path and He already knows that path He has chosen for us.

I may not go to church every Sunday, or follow all of the Christian traditions, but I do try to base my life and choices around most of their beliefs. The principles and values of God’s word, or the Bible, tend to guide my everyday life. Although the words of the Bible are present in my life, to get my philosophy where I want it to be, I have some work to do. But I know, if I keep living by my philosophy now, it will grow and develop into something much more.