The Worst Day Ever

Benjamin - Boardman, Ohio
Themes: change, nature

Everyone thinks rainy days are dark and depressing. Well, yes, they are, but they aren’t always so bad. Rain brings many good things, and some of which can brighten your day.

“Ben, it’s time to wake up.” “7:20, oh my God mom! What the heck! Now I’m gonna be late for school!” I said. “Excuse me, but you don’t talk to your mother like that! Now get up and eat your breakfast and get ready for school,” she shouted. Well, that’s how my day started, and it was only the beginning. I ate normal, icky cheerios because there were no other better cereals to eat. “What happened to all the Cocopuffs and Fruity Pebbles that we had last week?” I said. “They’re gone,” my mom shouted. “If you don’t like what cereal we have, then you can do the shopping!” “No I’d rather not,” I said. “Then keep your mouth shut,” exclaimed my mother. I quietly finished my cereal and sulked into the bathroom to brush my teeth.

Although, of course there’s no tooth paste, it’s just my luck. Just when I thought this day couldn’t get any worse, it did. “Now I’m going to have to go to school with bad breath and plaque on my teeth,” I thought to myself. However, luckily I was able to pawn some toothpaste off of my parents. I hate their toothpaste; it’s so spicy and feels like it’s eating through my tongue. After I was done brushing my teeth, I got dressed, put my shoes on, picked up my backpack, and walked out to my car.

I opened the car door, sat down, and started it up. “Oh look,” I said to myself, “No gas.” I probably had barely enough gas to get to school and back. This day is going terrible so far. I had to eat bitter cereal, brush my teeth with acidpaste, and I fought with my mother. I have to get to school on time with an empty tank, while trying to drive through the monsoon outside and study for two tests that I forgot about. What a crappy day!

As I was distressfully driving to school, I just happened to look up, and somehow, a beam of sunlight had broken through the thick gray barrier of clouds and formed a magnificent rainbow across the sky. Almost instantly when I saw it, I felt a feeling of warmth and happiness; it was that feeling you get when you know someone or something is watching over you from above.

The rainbow seemed to span all the way across the sky, and there was not a color that it lacked. “It’s so stunning how a couple of clear raindrops and a little bit of sunshine could do that,” I thought. The rainbow was amazing and so beautiful at the same time. I was in awe and stared at it until the car behind me beeped because I was stopped at a green light. I didn’t care though because that rainbow had lifted up my mood so much, and just made my day. It shows that even the simplest things can make a difference.