Taking a Risk for a Chance at Love

Kryssel - Escondido, California
Themes: love

Why purse love if there is a possibility that your heart will be broken? I have attempted to answer this question repeatedly, and I still have not come up with a conclusive reason for pursuing love. I believe love is very rewarding in many aspects, but it has its downfalls as well. I believe love involves risk. Putting my heart out on the line is risking the chance of being rejected and or loved in return. Although love is defined differently amongst us all, it is a fact that one cannot experience love without risking.

Personally, I have the hardest time when it comes to risking. The fact that I have never vocalized the words, “I love you” to anyone other than my family, draws me to the conclusion that I have never been in love. When it comes to relationships, it is extremely hard for me to put myself out there. I have convinced myself that love will find me before I find love. However, how can you find something without looking for it?

In high school, I experienced my first romantic relationship. It wasn’t really meaningful for I risked nothing; therefore, in return I gained nothing. He had told me that he loved me and in response I chose to pretend that I did not hear him .I wasn’t going to lie and say that I loved him. Even though I did not fall in love with him, I had put myself out there for the first time.

Now when it comes to relationships, even though I’m still hesitant in risking everything for a chance at love, I have learned to let loose. Recently, I have found myself falling for a particular guy. At first my mind told me that I was a fool in doing so. But then my heart made me feel otherwise. I thought about all the scenarios, and I chose to listen to my heart rather than my mind. The chance that in the end he might like me is what makes me willing to remain in the vulnerable state I am currently in.

After all, falling in love and being in love is risking heartbreak, my reputation, and ultimately my future. Whoever I choose to devote my life too will have a dramatic positive or negative effect on my life. A saying from an anonymous poet goes like this, “To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.” Life is too short to have risked nothing. So is it worth it to risk everything for a chance at love? I believe that it is unquestionably worth it. In order for me to experience true happiness in and throughout my life, I must risk everything!