Lovely, Inspiring Autumn

Eileen - East Hampton, New York
Age Group: 65+
Themes: nature

I believe that autumn is the loveliest and most inspiring of seasons. I consider my appreciation for this time of year an incredible gift. Each fall I feel a renewed energy after the hot, muggy days of summer. In the coolness of autumn my spirit is renewed.

I’m fortunate to live in a woodland setting filled with hundreds of red, black and white oaks, but with some beech trees that, on a sunny November afternoon, put on a dazzling display of yellows and oranges. I don’t have to travel up to New England to see magnificent foliage; I just have to look out my front window. My favorite beech was tall when I built my home here almost 30 years ago; now it reaches into the sky; not as tall as the oaks, but majestic all the same. Far above the beech, the oak leaves—large and dark but reddened by sunlight—fall in the breeze, into my hair, onto my clothing, and then to the ground.

Above the spotted gray trunks of my favorite beech are spreading branches filled with thousands of shiny, pendant-shaped leaves, fluttering and falling in the soft winds of a cloudless November day. I’m so lucky to witness this; I feel blessed. Joyce Kilmer wrote: “A tree that looks at God all day, and lifts her leafy arms to pray.”* It’s impossible not to feel spiritual and to give thanks.

The beech tree grows near my power lines—the electric and cable wires that run from the house to the street. Sometimes I have to cut back the branches when they interfere with what, for the tree, is not part of nature. But new branches grow, life continues; and so does the display of beauty—in all four seasons of the year. Even in winter I find peace and, yes, beauty, in the bare branches of all the trees that surround my home.

There is a dark green wrought iron café set–a table and two chairs—under my favorite tree. A pumpkin sits at the center of the table. The ground is covered with multi-colored leaves, the result of the November rain and winds. In sunlight, the tableau is worthy of a photo spread in a nature magazine.

I know that soon I will have to go outside and rake the leaves that have fallen; I will do it again in a few more weeks. The gutters must be cleared, and the paths and driveway. All the leaves wind up in the woods from which they came. I don’t have to bag them and have them carted away. I feel pleasure in knowing this: from nature they came; to nature they return.

Whatever my mood—if it’s a good day or not—I pass by my window or, better still, walk outside and stand under the beech, and I smile. Life doesn’t get any better than this.

* “Trees” by Joyce Kilmer, 1914