I Believe in Education

Pamela - Newark, Ohio

I believe education is a very important part of life and a necessity for success in the real world. I’m five weeks from graduating from college, something I thought would never happen. You see, I’m forty-four years old, married, and mother of two teenagers. My son is a college student himself and my daughter is a sophomore in high school. I work, sometimes two jobs, while going to college and carry eighteen to twenty credit hours per quarter. I’m proud of myself for this achievement because I never saw myself as college material.

When I was in high school, I wasn’t scholarly. I did just enough to get by. My motto was, “I’m only here for one reason and that is to get out!” meaning to graduate and keep my parents happy. My study habits were, let’s just say, not good; as a matter of fact, I didn’t have study habits. Studying math, English and history did not appeal to me. I never understood when and why I would ever need to use any of these things. Besides, while in high school I met this tall, dark and handsome Italian boy who rocked my world. I knew all I wanted to do was to graduate from high school and find a job so we could get married.

I remember the disappointment on my mother’s face and how much it hurt her and dad when I told them I wasn’t going to college. Mom and Dad worked hard, scrimped and saved, and did without the extras in life so I could have money for college. I let them down. They knew for me to succeed in the world a college education was necessary. I couldn’t and wouldn’t see that a college education could get me a good job and better life. The last thing I wanted was more school work. Besides, I wanted to marry to my Italian boy. My parents told me their offer of help with college was now or never. I walked away.

After some maturing, and living in the real world, working fast food joints, dead end jobs, and living pay check to pay check, I figured out that a higher education was going to be necessary. Mom and Dad were right, if only I had listened and got my education years ago. Since I can’t go back in time I’ve made the best of today. I’m getting my early childhood teaching degree to be able to help students realize how important an education is and not make the same mistakes I made.

I ended up married to the tall, dark and handsome Italian boy and have been happily married for twenty-two years. I have two beautiful kids that I am very proud of. The only regret I have for my life is that I didn’t continue my education sooner. Getting my education was much harder now with a family. I’ve missed softball games, swim meets, birthday parties and many other countless activities with my family because I’ve been in class or doing homework. In the long run, I’m soon to be a college graduate and I’m very proud of myself for this accomplishment. I believe education should be one of the most important things a person does for herself. I’m just thankful my parents will see the day I graduate from college and I can tell them that they were right.