How We Need to be Remembered as

Justin - Katy, Texas

This I Believe…

This I believe. I believe how you act and the decisions you make early in life are how you will be remembered as later on in life.

I recently made a bad choice a couple of weeks ago, and didn’t think about the consequences or the feelings of anyone when I did, not even my own. When I made my choice I got caught guilty, like a kid stealing candy from a candy shop. The results were bad. The choice that I decided to make got me arrested and put in the back of a sheriffs car for a little while and also got me terminated from Cy Fair Volunteer Fire Department. I almost lost my girlfriend and all because of a choice. I was walking a thin edge of a cliff that dropped 100’s of feet down. After the incident about three or four days later my pastor who is like a second grand-father to me asked me if I wanted to go on a drive to Brazos Bend State Park. I said yes. On our way he started talking to me and he told me “The choices I make now are how I would be remembered as 15, 20, even 50 years later!” He asked me what the sheriff that snapped the cuffs on me or the men and women at the Fire Department would remember me as in 15 or 20 years even later. I told him that they would probably think of me as a punk or a trouble – maker. He told me that yes they probably would. Then he told me about some kids that he went to school with he told me that they were bullies and caused trouble around town just because if their decisions. He told me that even now 40-45 years later that he still remembers them by what they acted like in school, bullies and trouble – makers. Yes they may have changed, but that’s not what they are remembered as by my pastor. He said that I could turn around and be remembered not as a punk or a trouble – maker, but as a young adult who was dependable and trustworthy and truthful.

Since that day to Brazos Bend State Park I think about what I want to be remembered as. I am the one who is responsible for my actions and my decisions and that I hope I can be remembered as a goodly person not a trouble – maker or a punk and that is what I believe.