I Believe

Charlene - North Carolina

I Believe

I believe that this country will never be the way it was when I was growing up. You could leave your doors open day or night and never gave a thought to someone coming into your house without being invited let alone doing you harm. We slept with our doors open on hot nights and no one ever bothered us. We would leave the house and never lock our doors and no one ever came into the house and bothered anything. As a child, I played outside in the yard and rode my bicycle and skated on the sidewalk and in a parking lot and we were perfectly safe. My sister and I would walk to the movies up town and stayed there until we were ready to go home and we were fine. Then we would go to the dime stores and look around. Before we got home we would stop by the bakery and get us something if we had any money left. On movie Saturdays, we had saved up enough money from gathering drink bottles all over the neighborhood and turning them in for cash and saving it. Mother would give us some money to get in and a drink or something. We had no money to speak of, so we made money the only way we knew how—drink bottles. Since we didn’t have a car, we walked everywhere we went, even to school. Back then you felt safe everywhere. The worse things that could ever happen at school were falling down on the playground or someone throwing up in the hall or worse in the classroom. The thought of someone bringing a gun in the school house was something in someone’s wild imagination, not a reality,like now. A person looked forward to going to school for the most part because the teacher made it interesting. I know that I had teachers that I didn’t particularly like and I am sure that I was not the only one in school that felt that way, but for the most part, I enjoyed my grade school years. People could sit out in their yards and visit in peace and the thought of a person approaching them to harm them or rob them or worse, shoot them while driving by wasn’t even feasible. People could have things out in their yard and would deteriate instead of get stolen or vandalized. If there was talk of such, it happened up north or somewhere, but never here. The television programs were so that everybody could watch them for the most part. Now, it is ridiculous. Movies and tv are not worth the effort to turn on. People used to have respect for themselves and others as well. Now there is no respect. Teachers, preachers, parents, and older people were shown respect, but not anymore. That is a shame. People act as though they never had any teaching of morals. If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything. Try to stand for what is worth standing for. Honor, respect, care for others, and most of all God. This country was founded on the teachings and guidelines for life by Gods word and faith in God. If we lose this, we are in for a rude awakening. It will then be too late to turn things around. This is what I believe.