Nell - Andover, Minnesota

It is the little things in life that get me through each day. Whether it is seeing those wobbly first few steps of toddlers at work or hearing the most god-awful cackles while walking through the mall. I don’t think I could bear living in a world where these little details were extinct. If I couldn’t lock my keys in my car, name inanimate objects, sit outside watching the stars or get smiley face text messages, I would go insane.

As crazy as it seems, these are the things that make me happiest. Being known as the M.V.P. of videogame watchers among friends, only because I can make a pizza and carry six sodas at once, gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment. The feeling of accomplishment doesn’t set in until my friend, Travis, raises his massive eyebrows in approval. The moment I started noticing things like the eyebrows or the many strange voices my friends do while playing Halo, I realized that my life and the people in it are precious. I don’t need big, expensive material things to make me content, only a Friday night in my friend’s basement.

I am fortunate in that way. The fact that small things amuse me, makes for cheap entertainment. The usual day includes watching my mom dance around in the kitchen to her favorite punk rock CD. One time we even tried to squeeze both of us into extra large pajamas I had gotten for Christmas one year. It’s times like this that have brought my mom and me much closer, as family and as friends. We have always enjoyed spending time together, but I have learned to appreciate it even more. I can’t imagine a week without hearing one of her stories about her bus driver, who has many odd jobs and plays pranks on unsuspecting passengers or the peculiar people she meets on her way to and from work. These are the moments I look forward to almost everyday. There are nights we stay up way past her bedtime, which is nine, and talk about all the stupid, yet hilarious, things that happened in our day. We both are aware how humorous life can be, which makes for many interesting conversations.

I owe my well being to these little joys. Without them, my mom and I would not be as close as we are and I would not be who I am today. I would not have the same friends or perspectives on life. I wouldn’t know who was playing my guitar by what tuning it was left in, freak out when my sunroof of my car is closed, or have a game with my little brother that consists of popping out of corners and scaring one another. My world would be a completely different place and I would be a completely different person. I believe that it is the little things in life that can make a big difference.