Nature Is My Faith

Lanny - West Tisbury, Massachusetts

My photographs of birds capture moments. Much of the time birds are on the move, doing what birds do to survive, to get where they need to be, to raise the next generation.

The most unique and meaningful images, out of the many thousands of digital images I have produced, are ones that let the viewer see birds as they are rarely seen in person, with detail and context that is usually lost in the blur of flight or the fading of distance. There is clarity and stillness to the bird and motion and abstract pattern to the background.

I believe in paying attention to the marvels that surround us. My art, paintings and avian photographs, has been about expressing my awe and respect for powerful natural cycles: in my paintings, the patterns of wind and water that drive waves to our shores; in my photographs, it’s the wondrous life cycles of the birds that share the planet with us and inspire us.

I believe in the interconnectedness of all things on earth. The classic story of the canary in a coal mine has elaborated into a recognition that wildlife populations are indicators of the health of our Earth.

Nature is my belief. It is my religion, my faith, my truth. I believe the lessons that instruct me, the lessons that give my contributions value, that guide how I treat the world around me, are generated in the context of being outdoors and watching and feeling what is happening around me. Those highs temper the lows in my life. That knowledge balances the ignorance in my life. That exuberance and vitality overpower the resentments in my life.

I choose to share what I observe and feel by producing images that reflect the essentials of my world view and that resonate with both the artistic and the spiritual sense of the viewer.