Flying With Angels

Danielle - 43105, Ohio

It was the day of my high school graduation. At the last minute, I decided to attend church with my boyfriend and his family. I figured that since I had extra time before graduation I could go. The service was full of singing, chanting, and shouting, “Amen.” After the service, we headed home and arrived a little after 1:00. When we pulled into the driveway of my house, I noticed that my mom had decorated my car for graduation. There was writing on the windows and balloons of black and gold inside. I found it somewhat amusing and decided to drive my car the way it was.

I made it just three houses down the street when I realized that the balloons were being blown out the windows. I hurried to roll up the windows and failed to see the car headed toward me. I panicked and overcorrected my steering wheel. I slammed on the brakes, but really slammed down the gas pedal and accelerated. I ramped up the side of the ditch and flipped my car upside down.

I still remember every second of my car being flipped around. I remember the sound of the busting glass, the smell of the air bag, and dust everywhere. At some point my belt had been disconnected and I was woken up by cold water. I was sitting where my windshield would have been and I thought for a minute, that I maybe sitting in gas rather than water and rushed to escape.

My only escape was through the busted driver’s side window. The first thing I saw was the other driver rushing toward me. I asked him to get my dad. A few minutes later he came back with my dad. I will never forget the look on his face. It seemed as if everyone in my life had gathered at the scene. Everyone was shocked to see me in the back of the ambulance. The only thing I could do was cry. My life had literally flashed before my eyes.

Inside my car were two visor clips one with a prayer and one of an angel. From my rearview mirror hung a crystal angel. All of them were gifts from my family members who wanted to keep me safe on the road. I appreciated the fact that my family cared to keep angels on my shoulders. I figured they had all been lost in the crash, but my dad handed me something before I climbed into the ambulance. It was the visor clip of an angel. He told me that she had kept me safe and I should be happy to still have her. It was that moment when I realized that I was not alone during the accident. I had my guardian angel with me.

There are a number of things that can happen to a person to impact their life. Mine happened to be a car accident. Having my life almost taken from me made me realize how much I failed to appreciate others. Whenever I meet a new face, I think of how wonderful they could be and like everyone else they too deserve a chance. I consider others feelings before my own and I care how I present myself. The car accident changed my life.