Strength

Stephanie - Auburn, Washington

Strength

I believe in strength.

Until I was in seventh grade, my mom never had the strength to stand up to my dad or do what she wanted to do, it was always his way or no way; she finally did one Monday afternoon. It started off normal but my life altered during fourth period. The office called saying that I was leaving. I had no idea why; my mom hadn’t said anything to me. Not knowing anything I packed up my stuff and headed to the office. As I went in I saw my mom’s car in the parking lot, I instantly thought someone had died or something. Before I was told anything I saw my mom crying in the counselor’s office. I went in and sat down. After my mom’s crying had deceased a little she told me what was going on. Her words were “I can’t do it anymore, I’m not happy, I’m walking on eggshells when I’m around your dad. We’re getting a divorce”. At first I thought I had heard her wrong, but the blow of shock hit me seconds after. I burst out crying, it’s all I could do. There was nothing I could say or do to not make it happen. Eventually my crying lightened up and I could actually speak. I asked her what was going to happen now and she told me that the divorce papers were to be delivered to my dad that night and since we never know how he is going to react, it was best to go away for a couple days. That morning she had asked me to give her some extra clothes for me; I had thought nothing of it until now.

Knowing that I wasn’t allowed to talk or see my dad for the next couple days made me start to cry again; but also knowing that my mom was going to be happier and she wouldn’t be as stressed out any more made it a little less worse. This I believe was the strongest I’ve ever seen my mom. She had the strength to end it with my dad and be happy again. I hadn’t noticed this but for the past couple weeks she hadn’t eaten much because she was so nervous to do it, and scared. Now she finally was and everyone in our family was behind her, especially me. Even though I didn’t want them to get a divorce, I knew in the long run it would be a lot better for all of us. Since then my life seems to have been better. This I believe is what everyone should have to make their life a little easier.