Family Hardships

Patrick - Auburn, Washington
Themes: setbacks

Family Hardships

I am Patrick and I am 16 years old. I live in Auburn, Washington. I’m a pretty good sized guy at 260 lbs. I am active in sports especially football. That is one of the many things that I like to do. I also love to work on my dad’s 1974 pickup truck. I have had a tough time in my life though I don’t really view it that way. My family consists of two sisters, two parents of course, and a brother (really he’s my cousin but we adopted him pretty much). We have moved around a lot. I was born in Washington, lived there throughout 1st grade then I moved to Montana in 1999. It was a big move going across two or three states. I lived there for about 6 years. I had a great time over there but my dad made the decision to move back. It was kind of agitating that are kept splitting up a lot on moves. My parents went back to Montana to pack all our stuff and we stayed in Oregon with our cousins for almost 3 weeks. Then they found a house to rent until we could find a house to buy. It wasn’t even three months before my parents found a house to buy. Luckily the new house was only a quarter mile for the rental so moving was easy. So we moved in but our family was sort of loose. We never really had family time or we never really got together and talked or anything. We would go to the mall every now and then but that was about it.

What happened next in my life was a bit of a shocker. During the Washington windstorm in December of 2006 a tree came through the roof of our house. The tree took out my parent’s bedroom. Luckily another tree in our yard had fallen down before that and our whole family was downstairs when it happened. We ended up staying in a hotel for 3 weeks. We then moved to this house that we were supposed to say at for six months. The insurance paid for everything; the hotel, the food that we ate at the hotel, and the rent. It wasn’t as bad as last time. We ended up staying there for twelve months because the construction did not start until six months after the tree hit. Our family schedule id you will was messed around so we didn’t see each other a lot.

We got to move back in after Christmas when the engineers got done clearing the house and we were so happy. It took us a weekend to move back in. We started to go out to different places again like the mall and stuff. We would usually go to the movies and to me our family got back up and running again.

Most of my life, especially the last three years, I have been moving a lot and most of the time my family got split up. But I believe that even though you get split up a lot you come up with a plan to stay in touch and spend as much time together, especially for planning so that you can get things done a lot faster. But for now I am good with life and I live on.