this i believe

samantha - auburn, Washington

I am a junior in high school, and I believe that if I tell myself I can do something, and work hard in order to accomplish that task, than I will be able to achieve my goal no matter what others may think.

My older sister was always very involved in theatre; she had a lot of fun and watching her made me want to be in high school drama. I have taken acting classes since freshman year, but was never able to work up the courage to try out for any of the school plays. This year however, I decided to audition for a small part in our schools production of “Our Town.” Going into my audition, I was nervous, and thought I would forget the lines to the sonnet I had memorized. In the end however, I did a great job and got a part in the play as Si Crowell.

At the moment, I am also involved in Children’s Theatre. In just about two weeks, my class is going to put on a show for the third through fifth grade students in our district. We have been rehearsing the play “Little Red Riding Hood and the Power Mutants” for the last month and a half. My class was able to choose which character they wanted to be, and I chose Oswald the Big Bad Wolf. Oswald has quite a bit of lines, and I would not have volunteered to play that role, if I did not think I was capable of learning the entire part that this character has. I have learned almost all of my lines, yet I still stumble along some of them.

The teacher of this class pulled me aside the other day, and asked me if id consider giving up my part because he was not sure if id be ready by the time we put the show on. Quite honestly, I was pissed. I wanted to scream at him, and I wanted to cry. How could he possibly know whether or not I would be ready? Continuously he told my class that everybody learns at a different pace. In fact, he pointed out that one of the students in my class never had any of his lines learned until about, two days before the show was to be performed. For all that he knows, I can be the same way right?

He wants to give my part to another student, one who already has a different part in the play, and the same one who doesn’t ever have his lines learned until a couple days beforehand. In my opinion, that isn’t fair. If this student constantly has to call out “line!”, whereas I only have to call it out a couple times, then why should he be given my part!? I think that I will be completely ready by the time we need to perform our show. I am going to tell myself that I am capable of doing a great job in this production, and I am not going to just give up. I will study my lines even more than I already have been, and prove to my teacher that I can successfully play this role. I know that I will be able to accomplish this task because once again, I believe if I tell myself that I can do something, and if I continuously work towards my goal, then I will be able to achieve whatever it is I am trying to succeed at.