The Impact of Three Words

Daniel - Grand Rapids, Michigan
Themes: love

The Impact of Three Words

I believe that love is the strongest emotion that we as humans can express. Love is like a double edged sword, it can be your friend and in a way protect you, yet at the same time it can hurt you leaving scars that can be unforgettable. I know what it feels like to be hurt by the words ‘I love you’ and I know what it feels like to be completely swept off my feet by those same words. My girlfriend and I share an unbelievable relationship together and I know we say it often. I know when we say ‘I love you’ there is meaning behind it; there is a force you might even say. When she looks me right in the eyes and tells me she loves me, I get a sensation that truly makes me feel complete. I know she loves me by the way she expresses it, not only that she says the words.

Love is a feeling so powerful that it can change a life. Depending on how it is expressed, it can completely change the way someone sees themselves. Sometimes ‘I love you’ can be followed by something that feels harsh, when someone that cares enough to tell me something I need to hear, but doesn’t make me feel good/happy. Then knowing they ‘love me’ makes it tolerable.

People often over use the term ‘I love you’ not considering the impact that those words should carry. I must be careful how I express it. If I go around throwing ‘I love you’ out as often as I say hello I can wind up in an uncomfortable situation. It can cause miss understandings between friends; it can change friends into being a couple.

I can go to any part of the world and see people expressing themselves in ways and words that most people would understand to be loving. If you remember only one thing, I hope it is this; the words ‘I love you’ are powerful and when you use them with anyone you should truly mean it, you should not just be saying the words, you should be expressing the emotion that you have for that person. This, I believe, is the greatest feeling to receive from someone else.