Bryan - Auburn, Washington

“This I Believe”

I am a sixteen year old high school student living in the Evergreen State of Washington. I golf, ski, work, go to school, and hang out with friends. I inhabit a place known as Unincorporated King County. I have lived in the same house all of my life with my mother, father, and sister. My sister is an eighth grader at Cascade Middle School. I believe that no matter who you are, words can hurt you.

Over the sixteen years of my life I have come to realize this to be true. There was a day about one year ago when someone I know told me I wasn’t good enough for my girlfriend. Some things said to me I am able to brush off, so that they don’t bother me. Other times the word spoken to me actually have an affect; especially when it’s a person I care about. I tried to not let this bother me however, I just couldn’t do it. The hurt from the words that had been spoken just hung on. The whole time my close friends were telling me what was said wasn’t true. They were telling me things trying to build me up but, what the kid said to me I just couldn’t brush off. It was just too hurtful.

I have learned when a person says something mean about someone either important or meaningful to you those words can hurt. People who speak harmful things tend not to care or even realize how it might make the person on the receiving end feel. In my case they went to the extent of saying “no offence or anything but.” I think they may have said that after they saw the reaction on my face and realized what had been said hurt me. Since the hurt I experienced, being on the receiving end of those harsh words, I have come to believe you should never say anything that could be hurtful about another’s significant other.

This has affected me in how I form opinions about other people’s significant other. I have become less opinionated about them. I make sure that I get to know them before I form an opinion. If I have a bad opinion I keep it to myself because it’s just what I think and nobody else needs to hear it. Never will you see someone’s hurt face because of the words that come out of my mouth. After being on the receiving end of a comment like that I would feel horrible doing it to someone else.

I would hope other people would think twice before they say rude, hurtful or cruel things about other people’s significant other. As I have experienced it really can and does hurt. So think before you speak maybe just keep it to yourself. Even the tuff guys can be affected by words. Words can hurt.