Never say I can’t, always say I’ll try

Kevin - Garden City, New York

For my 8th birthday, my parents took me out to one of my favorite restaurants for a special dinner. We had made reservations so we were seated immediately at our favorite table in the secluded back room. We gave our orders to the familiar waitress who smiled and wished me a happy birthday. When the appetizers arrived, my dad wanted me to taste an interesting looking dish; however he wouldn’t tell me what it was. I told him I refused to try something unless I knew what I was eating. In order to persuade me to experience something new on my birthday, my dad stated his famous line; “never say I can’t, always say I’ll try”. Not wanting to look like a wimp, I ate the rubbery appetizer and found it delicious. The food had a fried outer layer, and had the consistency of a rubber band, however it was very tasty. Only after I fully swallowed the mystery appetizer did my dad inform me that what I just consumed was calamari; better known as fried squid. There was no way I would have eaten the calamari if I had known what it was before putting it in my mouth.

Although I was angry at my dad for playing a trick on me, it taught me a lifelong lesson. Because of that day, I am never shy to try new things, and I enjoy taking advantage of new and exciting opportunities. I love trying new foods, meeting new people, and traveling to new places. Although it can sometimes be scary and nerve racking, trying new things and leaving your comfort zone is very rewarding and can help us to learn more about ourselves as well as the world around us. This idea becomes even more important for me as I get settled in my first year of college. Everything around me is new and unknown, and it is up to me to get out there and experience everything. Everyday is a new experience and a new challenge, and with my dad’s line in the back of my mind, I try and take in as much as possible.

It is important for everyone to live their lives with no regrets. I enjoy going to bed each night feeling like I took advantage of everything that was offered to me. We only live once, and during that one lifetime we should do everything to the best of our abilities and try to experience and absorb as much as possible. We are all bound to hit some rough patches here and there but it is important to ignore the potholes in the road and simply enjoy the journey. Life is an opportunity, and we should all benefit from it. Take risks whenever possible, travel the world, meet new and interesting people, step out of your comfort zone, pick up a new hobby, listen to a new band, or in my case, eat some squid and always remember my dad’s corny line; never say I cant always say I’ll try