The Dying Art of Patriotism

drew - Cypress, Texas

In the current time and age, America is unarguably the greatest country on earth. With all the glory and praise America receives, one would think that such a successful nation would be full of patriotism and nationalism, brimming with pride and citizens who support and raise their country up. With all the success America has achieved throughout history, they would find it hard to believe that patriotism in America has dwindled to nearly nothing. In an age of prosperity in this great nation, I believe that patriotism is slowly dying and desperately deserves a comeback.

While patriotism is usually a daily part of life (or it should be), it is often forgotten and cast to the side. Many Americans may not actively practice patriotism, but I have noticed a few people who have become completely detached from their country. One of these people showed me how much a person can take their country for granted. On August 27, 2008, Baseball fan Brad Campeau-Laurion was forcibly ejected during a Yankees-Red Sox game. He says all he did was try to go to the bathroom while “God Bless America” was played during the 7th inning stretch. He claimed, “I attempted to get up to use the restroom, rather urgently, during the 7th inning stretch as God Bless America was beginning. As I attempted to walk down the aisle and exit my section into the tunnel, I was stopped by a police officer. He informed me that I had to wait until the song was over. I responded that I had to use the restroom and that I did not care about God Bless America.” He went on to say, “they were violating my First Amendment rights and that I had done nothing wrong, with no response from them.” While I agree that his removal from the game was a bit extreme, it illustrates the death of patriotism in America. While some people may claim that this incident is an injustice, I believe that it is a necessary step towards the revival of patriotism. When people put themselves before their country, I believe a true injustice has occurred.

Acts such as this should not be received with surprise, as patriotism has been dying for many years. Every day, Americans fail to appreciate everything America has to offer. I, too, am guilty of this, but I realize when I have done such an act. I constantly see people throwing their country to the side, like a piece of trash. They have pushed America away so many times they no longer realize when they do it anymore. But, I believe all this can change at any time. I believe a new day is dawning, a day when all Americans show their love and gratitude towards America every day. All Americans have to do is find it in their hearts to put their country before themselves, so patriotism can be reborn! I have made amends with my country, now it’s your turn, America.