The Power of Thought

David - Cypress, Texas

I believe that whatever you put your energy into will happen. I believe, that you create situations in your life based on your thoughts. Whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, whatever you put your energy into will eventually happen. This is why your thoughts can either be your best friend or your worst enemy.

When I was in eighth grade, I had a strong passion for theatre. I ate, slept and breathed it. Around February of 2006, I decided to take my passion for the stage to the next level. I decided to audition for Les Miserables at Main Street Theatre. Main Street was one of several professional theatre companies in the Houston Theatre District. This particular production was for students, but nonetheless, it was still a production downtown, which meant only the best of the best would be allowed. Out of about 100 actors auditioning, roughly 30 would be placed in the cast. Everyone who was anyone in the theatre scene would be auditioning for this show.

The weeks before the audition I practiced my song and my monologue intensely. I went to voice teachers and acting coaches. I very much wanted to be in the show . I had every intention of making it, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking, “What if I don’t make it?” or “I’m scared they won’t cast me”. As I continued preparing for the audition, I continued to hope that I would make it, but I continued to worry that I wouldn’t. The day of my audition finally came. I showed up at the theatre dressed in my best clothes. I sang my heart out, I performed my monologue the best I ever had, I greeted the directors, I did everything right. I left that evening feeling very accomplished and confident. I waited very impatiently during the next few days, for a call from the directors telling me yay or nay. As I waited, all I could think once again was “What if I don’t make it?” and “I’m scared they won’t cast me”. When I finally got the call, I was told I was not cast.

Naturally I was devastated. I felt like all the hard work and time I put into my audition was nothing more than time wasted. Looking back on it now, I see it as an amazing learning experience. It took me a few years to truly learn the real lesson behind this event. The real lesson is my belief that whatever you put your energy into will happen. Of course I didn’t want to be denied of the opportunity to perform in an awesome show, and to benefit from the knowledge that would come from working with such accomplished actors and directors, but when it all comes down to it, I put the majority of my energy into worrying about not getting cast. And look what happened, I didn’t. Focus on what you do want to happen, not on what you don’t want, because if you focus on what you don’t want to happen, it just might.