Everything Happens For a Reason

Kasey - Cypress, Texas

I believe that everything in life, good or bad, happens for a reason. I have to believe this in order to survive. Some people would say that life has dealt me a lousy hand and that I should just lay my cards down on the table and fold, but I refuse to accept defeat so willingly. The paths I take and the choices I make do not always lead to a wide opened meadow surrounded by millions of vibrant wildflowers. When this happens and my life does a 180 degree turn onto a long cracked walkway with a landscape of gray scaled colors I have to relax, breathe, and remind myself that everything happens for a reason.

Life’s cruelties can hit a person fast, hard, and forceful. I was slugged with a diagnosis of Hepatitis C when I was only thirteen years old, learning that there is no cure and my ailing life was going to consist of doctor’s appointments on top of hospital visits. There was a treatment that could reduce the damage that the virus had caused in my body but it was not known to work on the genotype I inherited. At this point I had another decision to make. Standing alongside another crossroad I did not know which way I should turn. Down one path there was dropping out of public school, giving up on my present dreams, and feeling like I was living in a hell on earth for a full year, but I had a slight chance of reducing the damage in my liver. Down the other path there was maintaining most of the aspects which existed in my daily life but it were most likely that I would only survive to be thirty, if I am lucky. I chose to continue my journey in life down the second path which I am still standing on now. I have to fight through the symptoms of my disease on a daily basis, but I embrace the pain because it was the path I chose to take.

I believe everything in life happens for a reason. I have a liver disease for a reason, my grandfather passed away on Easter for a reason, my grandmother passed away the following Christmas for a reason, my family is completely torn apart for a reason, I spend most of my holidays with an empty house to keep me company for a reason, a child is born every day for a reason, millions of flowers bloom in unique exotic colors for a reason, a monotonous caterpillar turns into a brilliant butterfly for a reason, and the sun rises every morning, even though some mornings I feel like I am a humble peasant to its radiance, for a reason. I know every aspect that permeates this world has an individual and specific purpose for occurring, and this I will always believe.