Make No Regrets

Victoria - Cypress, Texas
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that one should never have regrets, along with that I believe that one ought to live life as if each day is one’s last. I’ve made countless mistakes in my day, and along with those mistakes came regrets. A very notable regret was not ameliorating a strained relationship with an old friend. She was my best friend in the entire world; she told me everything, and vice versa…We started growing apart, one thing led to another, then after a massive fight she became a faint memory in my mind. There were times that I would beat myself up for not fixing everything, and I hated myself; I lost a truly magnificent friend.

I was somewhat depressed, until one day I stumbled upon a quote by C.S. Lewis, “Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret? There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.” I read this, and it made so much sense; everything fell into place. I decided that I would no longer be concerned with the loss of my buddy. Life is too short. I shall not waste time dwelling on the past. Sure, I lost one good friend, but since then I’ve made many more friends. The whole situation was like Alexander Graham Bell’s famous words, “when one door closes, another opens.” Except in this case, numerous doors have opened, and new friends were there.

When I would regret doing something wrong, or not doing something right, I would just obsess over the fact that I failed; I considered myself worthless. But I realized that if I fret over the past, I’ll never be able to learn from it, and thus, do well in the future. C.S. Lewis is right; whatever is ahead is way better than what’s left behind. I don’t even know why I ever let any of my mistakes get to me. I ended up feeling terrible. It’s all forgotten now; I live life as though I am dying. No matter what I do, or don’t do, I don’t regret anything.

Everything happens for a reason. I’m not going to let any negative deviance I partake in bother me. I will take anything that is given to me, and make the best out of it; if it doesn’t end so great, I will just obtain experience that can only help me throughout life. One should never have regrets; one should live life as if each day is one’s last, this I believe.