This I believe: the game of tennis

David - Cypress, Texas
Themes: sports

This I believe: the game of tennis.

Tennis has no boundaries, no barriers. There are no geographical limits: tennis is worldwide. There are no language barriers: tennis is spoken in many forms. The game of tennis has the ability to transcend any limitation whether it’s nationality, sex, race, religion, or otherwise. Tennis brings people together from every corner of the globe. Tennis is the only sport which can truly have “world” champions. No one can be excluded because that is not what tennis is about. Tennis is about perpetuating positive values, for instance the current example of toleration.

Although, toleration is just one of many life lessons I have learned through this game. The gentleman’s sport: tennis requires respect and courtesy from both opponents. There are only line judges on the pro circuit so, tennis has taught me honesty. When I’m on the court it’s my duty to play an honest match. I have the responsibility of making calls as honestly and accurately as possible. Every time I play a set I face the temptation to cheat and the honesty I show on the court I show in other aspects of my life. I try my best to never lie, cheat, or steal on the tennis court just as I strive to never commit these sins at all. The game has also brought me much needed patience. “Every shot hit to you is a new problem to solve”(Timothy Calhoun). Successful players must acquire the patience to construct and develop points especially at higher levels of play.

The traits displayed on the court don’t just pertain to the game; courtesy, responsibility, respect, honesty and patience are virtues desired by everyone-virtues that are constantly tested and tried. Tennis has brought me the morals I need to live a good life and for that I will be forever grateful. It is almost like a religion in that way. It provides a moral code to govern conduct on and off the court and a set of values and ethics to guide the conscience. To play tennis is to honor what it distinguishes as right and wrong. I believe in tennis and the values playing tennis has engraved in me.