Family

Chris - Cypress, Texas

I believe that the most powerful relationship I have is the one with my family. They are the most important people in my life. There has never been a day in my life that I did not want to spend with them. Every single member of my family means the whole world to me and I owe it to them to be the best brother/son that I can be. Although, my family had not always been this close, before my brother was born it was just me, my sister, my mom, and dad and I liked it like that and did not want things to change.

12 years ago I found out that I was having a little brother and honestly, I was not too happy about it. I thought our family was perfectly fine the way it was. I thought that the baby was going to ruin this family; I was not ready for such a dramatic change in my life. I did not want this baby filling in me or my sister’s spot. I was beginning to question my father’s sanity until he gave some advice that has stuck with me to this day. He said, “Bringing a new child to this family should not bring this family further apart. The gift of life is a very special and magical thing and children only bring love into families and make them closer.”

Sure enough 12 years later my little brother turned out pretty good. I can not complain about the decision my parents made, but that does not mean he does not get on my nerves sometimes. Even though he bugs me sometimes he has brought this family closer together whether he realizes it or not. The more people you have in your family, the more experiences you get to share with them. Through good times and bad times my family is always there for me and I am always there for them. I may not always like or agree with every one in my family, but I never stop loving them even for a second and that is what makes this relationship more powerful than any other.