Music Heals

Stefany - Cypress`, Texas

I believe in the healing power of music. I’m a singer. I have been singing for as long as I can remember, and have a natural tendency to break out in song at random times. What can I say? Music is a very powerful thing, and it’s the only thing that never fails me. It’s not tangible; it’s very indescribable and I believe it can get you through your toughest moments.

It happened a couple of years ago. I remember it clearly, as if it was yesterday. My dad had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and the doctors said after the surgery, he would probably never be able to sing again. This was the end of the world for me. This was unthinkable! Improbable. Absurd. You see, ever since I could barely walk, my dad and I had been singing and performing together. He was the only one in my family who shared the same passion for music as I did.

It was the day of the surgery, and I was pretty much saying goodbye to him. I didn’t understand why everyone was being so pessimistic. He told me that no matter what happened, I needed to continue singing, playing the piano, and the guitar. I held on to those words and tucked them away in a safe place in my heart, thinking maybe the doctors would try to take them away from me, just like they tried taking our hope away.

I went home that day and everything is somewhat hazy. I do know, however, that I was to stay with my aunt for the next couple of days. When I was alone, I pulled out his words and analyzed them. They rang in my ears. Echoed in my mind. Tugged at my soul. I couldn’t bear to think the last time we sang together would be our last time forever. I’m a very strong girl. I’m not one you’ll find crying in public. You know the best friend that’s always there consoling the troubled soul? Yeah, that’s me. I didn’t want to go cry to my aunt, or my brother, or anyone else. Instead, I sat down and cried to my piano. All my emotions came out through lyrics and melodies. I can’t recall how much time I spent sitting there, just thinking, but I do remember feeling a great weight lifted off of me.

My dad got better, and we still continue singing together. I am very thankful for that. But every time I’m having a bad day, I can go back and pull out my songs and sing my heart out. It helps me so much. I believe in the healing power of music.