Equality of the Human Race

Sara - Houston, Texas
Themes: equality

Equality of the Human Race

I believe in the equality of the human race. In that all humans, no matter race, gender, cultural background, or choice of religion, are equal. Meaning that no single person can exceed or descend in power of another. Yet we don’t live in a perfect world and differences in individuals are looked down upon in many societies, actually let me re-word that, in every society.

I was born and raised in the midst of human inequality at one of its cruelest points, the War in Bosnia. Of course I was far too young to know what was going on at the time, but I have family who is scarred by the horrific memories of those days, when two societies were torturing each other because of differences in religious beliefs and whose belief was better than the other’s. And all my family prays for is that nobody goes through what they had to in life and that someday there will be peace within the human race. Yet recently in Darfur, as in the War in Bosnia and during the Holocaust, mass genocide occurred in order to create a so-called “perfect society”. Is this really what the human race has come to? Brutality in the name of power, when in fact God created the human race to be equal?

Sadly, I see inequality occurring all around me. My fellow students making fun of a girl from China because of her heavy accent and the way she dresses. It breaks my heart to see this because this is exactly how the Holocaust, the War in Bosnia, and countless other disasters have occurred due to inequality of the human race. Yet I believe in the beauty of the differences that each human possesses and that no human is perfect in any way, so why try to look down upon someone else’s differences? There has never been and there will never be a perfect human, it will never cease to exist, therefore I believe that all humans are equal no matter the differences between them. I believe in equality of the human race.