Revolution of Compassion

Andreina - Cypress, Texas

At 17 years of age, I have been simply an onlooker, a bystander of the world. I feel like I’ve grown up in a world enveloped in cynicism. I’m so surprised to realize how much innocence, compassion, and a general care for society is receding generation after generation, and it scares me to think the attitudes of future generations. My worst fear is, and I honestly believe it to be possible, that our world will be lost and drowned into the black hole of apathy come the future generations.

Looking at statistics of simple yet unbelievably important things, like how many of all American citizens vote in the presidential election or how many American teens don’t appreciate school, you can see the progression of apathy permeating through society. I fear that my generation, the generation with the most power to make a difference, just won’t care enough to. Listening to teens talk about significant issues in the world such as global warming or the economic crisis, you can find the chosen ignorance in their responses, and some of the more blunt respond simply with a “Who cares?”

Let’s turn the tables. Could you imagine what kind of place our world

would be if everyone cared just a bit more about the most important issues going on today? It excites me so much to think about what solutions people could come up with to, clichéd but rightfully put, “make this world a better place”. I do often find inspiration through people and organizations spreading compassion in a way that will alter our society for the better. Through this belief, I try to involve myself. I spend time doing service hours and enjoy doing it. I engage in current events and learn about what’s going on in the world and how it can affect me, and then I spread the word in hopes of also spreading concern and care.

I believe that compassion will drive humanity in the right direction. I believe that people have the potential to rid the world of cynicism and replace it with productivity towards better lives for their neighbors and themselves. I believe that the spread of kindness can elicit the good in society. I wish for mankind to be challenged to be more compassionate. I wish for our generation to grasp the power bestowed upon them and use it to set a crucial example to inspire our children and their children, and essentially begin a revolution of compassion.